Monday, May 19, 2008

Wiki World

I checked out the Library Success Wiki and chose only a few entries to read. I found some interesting ideas and suggestions. However, I didn't find too much on the subjects of budgets, accounting or office practices; and those are the areas that would be of interest to me. The site looks and feels like a policy manual, not very pretty. Most of the pages I looked at hadn't been modified in a few years. I did, however, hit upon what they called Parvenu Tower Resources which had an amazing list of links for different subjects. I had to wikipedia "Parvenu" to find out about the name. A parvenu is: someone who has gained a position of power but not yet gained the social skills associated with this new position. Are they talking about webchallenged library staff?

So, if you sat and read thru Library Success, how would you know if tomorrow someone added a really great idea to it? Recent changes or Current changes? but not an "RSS"?

I had visited the Wikipedia Ocean County Library page before so it didn't take me long to have a second look. I'm disappointed that some of the links to old photos don't work. I would have liked to have seen James Brolin in the Bishop Building. I'd like to see James Brolin anywhere!

No comments: